Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, 31-40 per pound
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 cups cold cooked white rice, preferably day old
- 3/4 pound asparagus, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the shrimp and cook until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and add the remaining shrimp to the skillet and repeat.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of the canola oil and the sesame oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown and heated through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the rice to a bowl.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil to the skillet. Stir in the asparagus and cook until bright green, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add the frozen mixed vegetables and cook until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slide the rice mixture to one side of the pan and add the eggs to the skillet. Cook until the eggs are almost set, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture.
4. Add the shrimp and soy sauce to the skillet and cook, stirring, until heated the shrimp are hot and the soy sauce is well distributed, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.