These homemade strawberry cream cheese danishes are too easy and so much better than the store bought ones. Summery, jammy roasted strawberries and fluffy cream cheese make the perfect filling combination. This is one of my favorite desserts (and sometimes breakfasts too!) every summer. Swap the strawberries out for any fresh summer fruit if you’d like—I’ve made these with cherries and rhubarb and it’s just as good.
Makes 8 danishes
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hour 30 min
- Roasted Strawberries 1 pint strawberries, halved
- Zest of 1 organic lemon 3 tbsp sugar 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pack frozen puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 7 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus more for decorating
- Preheat oven to 400. In a shallow baking dish, toss strawberries with sugar and lemon zest. Mix cornstarch with a splash of water to make a slurry and add to strawberries. Bake until strawberries are dark, juicy, and jammy, stirring halfway through—about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Set strawberries to the side, and let them cool for about 20 minutes.
- While the strawberries are cooling, take out puff pastry and let it thaw per directions on the box.
- With a handheld or stand mixer, whip cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy but still thick. Fill a pastry piping bag (Ziploc with a corner cut off will work as well) with the cream cheese and place in a bowl with the tip upright. Set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- Cut each sheet of the puff pastry into 4 equal sized squares. Fold diagonally, and cut slits along each corner, leaving two corners intact—press the left corner of the pastry into the right, and vice versa. For an easier alternative, cut a smaller square within each square, not going all the way through the dough. This will allow the puff pastry to rise around the filling.
- Fill the center of the puff pastry with cream cheese, and top with strawberries. If using vegan cream cheese, I recommend just baking with strawberries and then topping with the cream cheese after—vegan cream cheese does not always yield the desired results when baked.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden and flaky. Dust with powdered sugar to wow. Serve warm, preferably with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.