These crispy, cheesy corn cakes are so simple to make and make for a great snack or side to a meal! Topped with sour cream, fresh scallions, and a squeeze of lime, these are the perfect summer dish to share with friend (or have all to yourself!).
Makes about 10 Fritters
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 1 can of corn, strained (2 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cajun or old bay seasoning
- 1/4 cup parmesan (vegan parm used here)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (vegan cheddar used here)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add corn and cajun seasoning, and let it cook for about 15 minutes or until browned and beginning to char, stirring every few minutes. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together flour, baking powder, and garlic powder. Add in both cheeses, corn, and sliced scallions, reserving some scallion for garnishing at the end. Gradually pour in water, stirring just until no more dry flour remains. If necessary, add more water.
- Heat one to two tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick pan on medium heat. Spoon the batter into the pan in 2 tbsp increments, and flatten each one with a spatula. Make sure each corn fritter has enough space in the pan—I recommend making 3-4 at a time.
- Cook on each side for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer fritters to a paper towel and pat gently to allow excess oil to drain. Move to a serving platter, and serve with a dollop of sour cream or mayo, a sprinkle of fresh scallions, and a generous squeeze of lime.